Snacking is something every one of us love. Isn’t it? Even though snacking is fun and is a form of relaxation, researchers are still understanding the science behind snacking. As per the Food and Health Survey 2020, during the Covid 19 pandemic, people younger than 35 years old, including children are shown to snack more than usual. A prefix should be added with the word ‘Snacking’ to make the word sound less scary. Now what’s that word? HEALTHY- SNACKING
Let’s see how that word works in real life. For that let’s first understand Why we Snack? Snacking is a common trait among human beings. We tend to snack for different reasons. Snacking is motivated by pleasure, fun, relaxation, hunger, calorie replacement, cravings, and other factors. This when exceeds the limit is where the real issue begins. Sweets, sugary drinks, cookies, popcorn, icecreams, salty crunchy snacks etc. are some of the popular snacking options opted by the snacker community.
Two important terms should be known to a snacker- Healthy Eating and Portion Control. Your health will gradually improve if you follow these two terms religiously. Healthy Eating means replacing your meals with protein and fiber enriched foods including your snacks and Portion Control means you watch how much is on your plate.
Healthy Snacking Benefits
- An energy boost in between meals.
- Prevents us from Overeating
- Aids in better Digestion
- Helps in Weight loss/ Weight Gain
- Better absorption of Nutrients
- Help to keep mood swings at bay.
- Helps maintain blood glucose level
- Diminishes hunger pangs
- Dates are a great option for a healthy snack. They're full of fiber and nutrients, and they can give you a boost of energy when you need it. They also help to prevent microbial infections and constipation. If you're looking for a healthy snack that will help you gain weight, Holy Ajwa Dates and Medjoul Jordan Premium Dates are a good option.
- Dry fruits and Nuts are another good option for a healthy snack. If you're looking for a healthy snack that will help you lose weight, Ajfan Dry Fruits combo is a great option. This mix of dates, dry fruits, and nuts is a perfect way to satisfy your hunger without overdoing it on calories.
- Almonds (Ajfan USA Badam), in particular, are a good source of protein and healthy fats. Almonds also help in lowering blood pressure. 28 grams of Almond contains 3.5 gm Fiber, 6 gms of protein, 14 gm fat. It also contains vitamin E, magnesium, manganese at 37%, 20% and 32% respectively of the Recommended Dietary Intake.
- Nut Butters are another good option if you are looking for a healthy snack. Peanut butters and Almond Butters are the popular options available in the market. One tbsp of Nut Butter contains about 94 calories.
- Seeds like Pumpkin Seeds, Chia Seeds, Watermelon Seeds, Flax Seeds etc are some of the excellent snack options if you are looking for something healthy.
How to consume snacks on a daily basis?
- One tbsp of any nut butter along with a fruit(100g) is not only healthy but also delicious. Apples are the most popular fruit to eat with nut butters.
- Consuming 5-6 soaked and peeled almonds on an empty stomach is a good start for the day.
- A small handful of nuts like Pista, Cashew, Raisins, etc can be consumed as an evening snack along with warm cinnamon water. Nuts and seeds are a good source of protein, which is important for building and maintaining muscle mass. They’re also a good source of healthy fats, which are essential for your body and brain. Cinnamon water increases metabolism, improves digestion and reduces blood sugar level.
- As a morning snack you can consume 1 tbsp of any seed (pumpkin, watermelon, sunflower, flax). A combination of Pumpkin Seeds and Flax Seeds can be consumed in the first phase of the menstrual cycle and in the second phase you can consume a Combo of Sunflower Seed and White Sesame Seed. This way of consuming helps improve estrogen levels.
- Dates can be consumed in different ways. One option is to eat plain. Another way is to eat it like a mixture with Roasted Cashew Nuts and pomegranate seeds.
Just as the cliché goes, Healthy food means Healthy Lifestyle never goes out of style. Small changes in our lifestyle choices are always an investment in the long run. Make sure you invest in it wisely. Start today folks!